You Cannot Sleep? Let’s Get Rid of Insomnia!
Studies show that we spend one third of our life sleeping. Although it does not seem important, sleep is vital for us just as food and oxygen.
Sleep extends out lifespan, our work efficiency, improves our mood, helps us focus. Adults need between 7 and 10 hours of sleep, while children need more. If we do not get enough sleep or if the sleep quality is affected we get feeling of fatigue, poor memory, irritability, anxiety, loss of interest in social life and even family, loss of productivity.
Insomnia affects everyone sooner or later. What matter is which type of insomnia disturbs your precious sleep. There are two types of insomnia: acute and chronic
This type of insomnia lasts from one night to several weeks and can be caused by:
– A period of emotional stress
– An event which is stressful for us
– Light, noise or sleeping in a different bed
– Discomfort, illness or pain
– Change in the normal sleep patter caused by changing working shifts or time zones
This type of insomnia can last from several weeks to years and might be caused by:
– Stress, depression, anxiety or other mental illnesses
– Going to bed at different times
-Watching TV in bed
– Excessive coffee, tea, cigarettes and alcohol consumption
– Lack of regular exercise
– Medical problems such as heart problems, breathing problems, digestive or hormonal disorders
Tips & Tricks to Get Rid of Insomnia
Often insomnia can be cured with several simple steps. Sometimes more effort is needed to get rid of it. You can start with several simple changes such as:
– Stop eating, watching TV, using the computer, play video games or listening to loud music in the bedroom
– Drink a glass of warm milk with honey or chamomile tea before going to sleep
-Avoid heavy eating before bedtime
– Exercise regularly but avoid doing this 3 hours before bedtime
– Try meditation and relaxation techniques
-Do not sleep during the day
-Try to keep a regular time for going to bed and waking up
-Take a hot bath before bedtime
-Keep away from sedatives, they do not get you a restful sleep
-Keep your bedroom well ventilated
These would be some of the most effective methods to get rid of insomnia. Try whatever makes you sleepy, relaxed or bored, even if you have to count sheep. Deal with insomnia before it deals with you!
Categories: Chronic Diseases